Job Post: Canadian Program Manager
Canadian Program Manager
Location: Canada (Toronto or Vancouver preferred), with travel to other provinces as needed
Reports to: Cicerone Certification Program Director
Works internally with: Content Director, Exam Director, Business Manager, Marketing Manager
Works externally with: breweries, importers, distributors, and retailers of beer; beer education organizations in Canada; the network of Canadian Certified, Advanced, and Master Cicerones
This full-time, salaried position will manage and expand the Cicerone Certification Program in Canada through remote and in-person customer support activities, conducting training to help candidates prepare for exams, and marketing activities such as meetings and trade shows. This position will also work with the Certified Cicerone exam staff to manage and conduct six to ten exams per year in various Canadian markets.
The ideal candidate for this position is a Certified Cicerone®, Advanced Cicerone™, or Master Cicerone® with three to five years of experience and proven success in marketing or sales. You will have experience using word-of-mouth techniques including social media, trade shows, and events. You’ll demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to build sales of training, education, and certification exams in Canada. Experience promoting events, hospitality, education, or certification services is strongly desired. Candidates must be comfortable speaking to groups and should be able to cite prior success in training or public speaking. Professional experience in the beer, hospitality, or other beverage alcohol markets is desired. Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a business discipline. Bilingual in English/French is preferred.
- Plan, execute, and monitor Canadian marketing efforts.
- Manage Cicerone presence at Canadian conferences, trade shows, and brewers’ meetings.
- Budget, monitor, and control marketing expenses.
- Working with staff in Chicago, plan, coordinate, and conduct Cicerone training in Canada.
- Identify key account relationships in the Canadian brewing and retail sectors to ensure stable long-term sales of Cicerone products and services to these groups.
- Develop and manage outreach to key constituencies such as culinary colleges, brewing education programs, and others who train beer servers.
- Manage all aspects of Certified Cicerone exam execution in Canada, including maintaining an accurate schedule of upcoming exams on cicerone.org, proctoring exams or arranging and supervising another suitable proctor, and coordinating all exam materials.
This position will work with and report to individuals based in Chicago, IL, so frequent trips to that location can be expected. Early on, we expect that this position will spend one week per month in Chicago, but that time will diminish as the position develops. Additional travel will be expected to serve customers, deliver training, and attend meetings and tradeshows in active markets across Canada.
Essential Skills and Abilities
In order to be effective, the successful candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Excellent organizational, planning, and follow-through capabilities: attention to detail is vital!
- Demonstrated capabilities in teaching and/or public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute multiple projects and priorities, keeping track of long-term priorities despite short-term interruptions and distractions.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to work with a variety of professional colleagues in a variety of cultures.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing daily activities and schedules.
- Demonstrated integrity in business relationships and the ability to represent the Cicerone program following the values that have been used to build it.
- Proficient personal computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Understanding of word-of-mouth marketing to drive web-based sales. This should include website management, email marketing, and social media.
- High initiative to work independently under minimal supervision; must exercise sound judgment and the ability to see issues in larger organizational context.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit which includes the willingness to work as part of a team in a small company environment, wear multiple hats as required on a day-to-day basis, and be willing to undertake duties unrelated to your job description when needed.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time when proctoring exams, training students, and participating in marketing events.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Interested candidates should send resume with cover letter including salary expectations to: email@example.com with the words “Canadian Program Manager” in the subject line. Due to the number of applicants, only qualified candidates for this position will be contacted.
About the Cicerone Certification Program
The Cicerone Certification Program seeks to ensure that beer drinkers receive the highest quality beer at every service occasion. The program offers a series of certification exams and educational programs for beer professionals. We award four levels of certification: Certified Beer Server (CBS); Certified Cicerone®; Advanced Cicerone™; Master Cicerone®.
Our exam and education content spans five specific areas:
- Keeping and Serving Beer
- Beer Styles
- Beer Flavor and Evaluation
- Beer Ingredients and Brewing Processes
- Pairing Beer with Food
For more information, see www.cicerone.org.
# # #